If you aren't super aware of his music, or if you aren't sure WHY you SHOULD be fascinated by him, here are five reasons:
1) Evolution
He is the best example, at least that I can think of, of a musician whose work constantly evolves into something different, never satisified with staying put. Over decades of recording, his styles and methods changed so fast, the rest of the jazz world couldn't keep up with him. A lot of people get fussy when an artist or band changes their "sound" from one album to the other. And while some people (uninformed, I might add) may do the same with Davis, his work actually does so gracefully. His music ranges from straight-ahead be-bop to modal jazz to soundtrack music to electronic funk to experimental "out" playing to...well, it just keeps going. The point being, he touches on all different types of playing, but each one is a progression and change in sound, and he does so successfully, creating a beautiful work of art each time, refusing to allow you to stay comfortable.
2) Space
I was thinking about this playing at a church gig the other night, where it was two guitars (I was the second) and a djembe. I was not leading any of the songs, and in order to maximize the quality of sound, I actually minimized the amount of playing I did. If you read Davis' autobiography (which, I confess, I have not fully finished...add to the summer checklist, I suppose!) he constantly talks about unnecessary output of sound, whether it be musical, or just talking in everyday conversation. HE HATES IT! If it isn't going to add anything, why do it?
Next time you listen to a band or group, depending on how successful they are, take notice of how much playing each person does. In the best groups, more often than not, musicians aren't stepping on each others' toes, or as Davis puts it, saying what doesn't NEED to be said. That's why, when you listen to his music, you can be confident that what you are hearing is only his best stuff. He NEVER plays notes or riffs just to fill space.
Some of you could take that advice and apply it to your everyday conversations :)
3) "Kind of Blue"
Okay, seriously, if you haven't heard this album, you are doing yourself a great injustice. Go ahead and look at a dozen different ratings of the "best albums of all time" or whatever nonsense they claim, and I guarantee this album will be at towards the top of that chart.
If I could only have one album to keep for the rest of my life, this would probably be it. I'm afraid the jazz world may never be graced with an album that can recreate the perfection this album achieved.
4) Stick-it-to-the-man-ism
Miles never let anyone tell him how his music should sound or be played. If you don't like his playing, his posture, his sound, his genres, his articulation, or whatever other nit-picking categories you can come up with, then go listen to someone else. And be disappointed by their playing, I'm sure :)
There is a reason he was such an influential figure in the music realm. You think he didn't have people telling him what to do all the time? He probably wouldn't have achieved 1/8 of the success if he had listened to his college orchestral director who told him to knock it off with all of the tomfoolery of "playing jazz" every night.
Who do you think had better judgment?
5) Style
Come on. Tell me you don't love outfits like these:
Or these:



No comments:
Post a Comment